The Biblical Teaching of Disciples--15
Matthew 27 and 28 contains SEVEN references to disciples.
1. After Jesus died on the cross, a rich man from Arimathea named Joseph was a DISCIPLE OF JESUS, and went to Pontius Pilate to bury the body of Jesus. Matthew 27:57-60.
2. After Jesus was buried, the chief priests and the Pharisees convened before Pontius Pilate and said: "We remember what they imposter [meaning Jesus] said he was still alive, 'After three days I will rise again.' Therefore command the tomb to be made secure until the third day; otherwise HIS DISCIPLES may go and steal him away, and tell the people, 'He has been raised from the dead," and the last deception would be worse than the first." Matthew 27:63-64.
3 and 4. Early Sunday morning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to the tomb of Jesus, and God opened the tomb; an angel told them that Jesus was raised from the dead, and told these two women: "Go quickly and TELL HIS DISCIPLES, 'He has been raised from the dead, and indeed he is going ahead of you to Galilee, there you will see him.' This is my message for you." So they left the tomb quickly with fear and great joy, and ran to TELL HIS DISCIPLES." Matthew 28:7-8.
5. The priest and elders of the Jews "devised a plan to give a large sum of money to the soldiers, telling them, 'You must say, "HIS DISCIPLES came by night and stole him away while we were asleep." Matthew 28:13. Here the Jewish leaders lied about what the disciples of Jesus did.
6. Commanded by the angel in Matthew 28:7, "THE ELEVEN DISCIPLES went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed him.When they saw him, they worshipped him. But some doubted." Matthew 28:16-17.
7. At the mountain in Galilee, Jesus told the eleven disciples: "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and MAKE DISCIPLES OF ALL NATIONS, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded YOU. And remember, I am with you always to the end of the age." Matthew 28:18-20.
This last text in Matthew 28:19-20 makes very clear that the way people make disciples of all nations is:
a. To baptize people of all nations in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
b. To teach these baptized people to obey everything Jesus has commanded.
In order for anyone to be a disciple, that person must be baptized in the name of God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and that person must learn what Jesus has commanded and obey those commandments. This requires a constant study of the Bible and a committed heart and life to God's commandments.
Share YOUR experiences and thoughts and insights and concerns and discernments with others. Let me hear from YOU.