John T. Willis

Saturday, March 19, 2011

I would rather be a Doorkeeper

The experiences of life bear out the marvelous truths proclaimed in the Bible. One of many examples of this is Psalm 84:10:
"For a day in your courts is better
than a thousand elsewhere.
I would rather be a doorkeeper
in the house of my God
than live in the tents of wickedness."

These words are truly impressive. BUT they take on "flesh and bone" in "real life" when we are engaged in actual experiences.

Through 77 years of my life, I have had several enticing opportunities: to preach in a large church, to serve as dean in a university, to be a professor at a pretigious university in the northeast, to live overseas in a plush, peaceful country to live at ease, and the like. I have rejected all these opportunities BECAUSE I have watched how accepting such opportunites almost always corrupt the lives of good people.

In the Bible, I think of humble Saul, who became the first king of Israel, and quickly changed into an entirely different person, taking things into his own hands instead of turning to God for help. I think of favored Jacob, who felt necessary to deceive others and lie and steal, living a miserable life. I think of chosen Judas Iscariot, who yielded to peer pressure and betrayed Jesus for a small amount of money.

In my own lifetime, I can name numerous "good" people who got some position or wealth or prestige, and soon became entirely different people. There is something about money, prestige, position, fame which transforms a person into a different individual.

Sorry, this is not worth to me to sell out my soul for all these enticements. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of God than to sell my soul. What about YOU?

Share YOUR thoughts and insights and dreams with others. Let me hear from YOU.

John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home