John T. Willis

Friday, August 23, 2013

The Betrayal of a Trusted Friend

We should all trust other people. In order to do that, we must be trustworthy ourselves. Throughout my life, I have fully trusted in all people. But a few people in my life have stabbed me in the back. I am guessing this has happened to everyone. Judas Iscariot treated Jesus our Lord in this very same way. A great passage which reminds us of this truth is Psalm 41. Note especially verses 5-12: "My enemies wonder in malice when I will die, and my name perish. And when they come to see me, they utter empty words, while their hearts gather mischief; when they go out, they tell it abroad. All who hate me whisper together about me; they imagine the worst for me. They think that a deadly thing has fastened on me, that I will not rise again from where I lie. Even MY BOSOM FRIEND IN WHOM I TRUSTED, who ate of my bread, has lifted the heel against me. But you, O Lord, be gracious to me, and raise me up, that I may repay them. By this I know that you are pleased with me; because my enemy has not triumphed over me. But you have upheld me because of my integrity, and set me in your presence forever." This psalm emphasizes three important points: 1. Evil people have a deep heart problem. They are not really concerned about other people, but about their own achievements and accomplishments. Many wicked people accomplish marvelous things, but are ungodly to the core. Such evil people PRETEND they love other people and are happy about their lives, when in reality they are trying to find an opportunity to use other people to carry out their purposes. 2. Evil people do not work alone. They work in small clichés. They create "gossip clubs," and within their own secret confines, they slander other people who are godly and righteous. These "gossip clubs" seem to think that godly people are naïve and ignorant. In reality, we know very well the gossip and slander which they spread about to try to corrupt the hearts and lives of other people. 3. When life is over, God will judge all people. God will justify the righteous and punish the wicked for all eternity. The proper response of those whom evil people slander and mistreat them is to move on through life and love other people. God will take care of all people in due time. Share YOUR ideas and insights and experiences and failures and mistreatments with others. Let me hear from YOU. John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home