John T. Willis

Sunday, July 03, 2011

Water in Psalms--Part II

Water in the Book of Psalms is a recurring metaphor. In the previous alternating blog, two ideas appeared. Here, we continue this study.

3. Loss of water in the human body or dehydration produces a physical problem. The author of Psalm 22 is suffering from some sort of illness, and as a result he is dehydrated. The key verses are 14-17:
"I am POURED OUT LIKE WATER,
and all my bones are out of joint;
my heart is like wax;
it is melted within my breast;
my mouth is DRIED UP like a potsherd,
and my tongue STICKS TO MY JAWS;
you lay me down in the dust of death.
For dogs are all around me;
a company of evildoers encircles me.
My hand and feet have shriveled;
I can count all my bones.
They share and gloat over me."

4. Yahweh is in control of the rivers, the lakes, the oceans, because he is creator and sustainer of all that is.
Psalm 33:6-7 declares:
"By the word of the Lord the heavens were made,
and all their host by the breath of his mouth.
He gathered THE WATERS OF THE SEA as in a bottle;
he put THE DEEPS in storehouses."
This is very powerful language. The oceans are dangerous and fearful to all human beings, but Yahweh is always in control. He gathers the waters ofo the sea as in a bottle [and a bottle is small], and he puts the deeps in storehouses [like silos or warehouses]. God looks down from heaven on the earth, and sees all that is happening. This is a great assurance of God's presence.

Psalm 46:1-3:
"God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear,
though the earth should change,
though the mountains shake IN THE HEART OF THE SEA;
THOUGH THE WATERS ROAR AND FOAM,
though the mountains tremble with its tumult."
For us human beings, roaring and foaming waters on the sea are too powerful for us. But our God is always in control, and he sustains life on earth.

5. Drought, which is lack of water, is a constant threat for human beings on earth. Lack of water was a continual problem in biblical times.
The author of Psalm 63:1 says:
"O God, you are my God, I seek you,
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land
WHERE THERE IS NO WATER."
God is the only reliable source of life and growth. Hence, we must continually turn to him daily to seek the LIVING WATER of life.

[To be continued]

Share YOUR experiences and dangers with others. Let me hear from YOU.

John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home