John T. Willis

Friday, June 24, 2011

Without God through Jesus I could do nothing

The heart, center, core, kernel of life is human relationship to God. All other concerns and issues and problems are insignificant if God is not with us.

The Bible repeatedly reminds us that God is WITH us. Here are a few of many texts.

1. At the burning bush, Yahweh told Moses to return from Midian to Egypt to guide the Israelites out of bondage.
"But Moses said to God, 'Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?' He [God] said, 'I WILL BE WITH YOU; and this shall be the sign for you that it is I who sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall worship God on this mountain.'" (Exodus 3:11-12).
Yahweh did not give Moses any logical reasons or arguments, but ONLY Yahweh's assurance that Yahweh will be WITH him.

2. After Moses' death, when Joshua and the Israelites were preparing to cross the Jordan River to conquer the Canaanites west of the Jordan, Yahweh gave Joshua this assurance:
"No one shall be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was WITH Moses, so I will be WITH you; I will not fail your or forsake you. Be strong and courageous. . . I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is WITH you wherever you go." (Joshua
1:5-6a, 9).
Human strength and strategy and vision amount to little other than Yahweh's presence WITH us.

3. The familiar words of Psalm 23:1-4 assure us:
"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters;
he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil;
FOR YOU ARE WITH ME;
your rod and your staff--they comfort me."
It is not our skills, our wisdom, our strength, our plans that sustain us, but ONLY that God is WITH us.

4. In Jesus' final commission to his disciples before he ascended into heaven, he declares:
"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS, to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:18-20).
In all our insights, in all our prayers, in all our efforts, in all that we do, what really counts is that God is WITH us.

In 1963, Mylon R. LeFevre wrote this motivating song:

Without Him I could do nothing;
Without Him I'd surely fail.
Without HIM I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail.

Without Him I would be dying,
Without Him I'd be enslaved.
Without Him life would be hopeless,
But with Jesus, thank God, I'm saved.

Jesus, oh, Jesus,
Do you know him today?
You can't turn him away.
Oh, Jesus! Oh, Jesus!
Without Him, how lost I would be!

I hope and pray that this assurance will lift your heart and embolden your life. God is WITH you. Trust in HIM.

Share YOUR experiences and insights with others. Let me hear from YOU.

John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home