John T. Willis

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Nearer, My God, to Thee

No matter how "godly" or "righteous" a person SEEMS to be, EVERYONE of us, specially myself, needs to come "nearer and nearer to God."

The author of Psalm 73 first relates his own experience. He was raised as a Christian from childhood [now, here, I am using modern application language], and he had not missed a single church or Bible class for 25 years, and YET he was experiencing losses and suffering, and MANY SINFUL PEOPLE around him were in great health, were very wealthy, had three cars in the garage, had a beautiful home on twenty acres, had a wonderful swimming pool--the works. SO, the Psalmist was tempted to give it all up. ENVY--GREED was tugging at his heart. This is Psalm 73:1-14.

But, on one occasion, this psalmist went to "the sanctuary of God," and for some strange reason, it dawned on the psalmist that "the end" of wicked people is disaster. And then, the psalmist declares:

"When my soul was embittered,
when I was pricked in heart,
I was stupid and ignorant;
I was like a brute beast toward YOU [GOD].
Nevertheless I am continually WITH YOU;
YOU hold my right hand.
YOU guide me with YOUR counsel,
and afterward YOU will receive me to glory.
Whom have I in heaven but YOU?
And there is nothing on earth that I desire other than YOU.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but GOD is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Indeed, those who are far from YOU will perish;
YOU put an end to those who are false to YOU.
But for me it is good to BE NEAR GOD;
I have made the LORD GOD my refuge,
to tell all of YOUR works." (Psalm 73:21-28).

These words inspire me to want to sing and ponder the song written by Sarah F. Adams in 1840, put to music by Lowell Mason in 1856. I hope this song will remind YOU and bless YOU by this song:

Nearer my God, to Thee, Nearer to Thee!
E'en though it be a cross That raiseth me;
Still all my song shall be, Nearer my God, to Thee.
Nearer my God, to Thee, Nearer to Thee!

Tho like a wanderer, The sun gone down,
Darkness be over me, My rest a stone;
Yet in my dreams I'd be Nearer my God, to Thee,
Nearer my God, to Thee, Nearer to Thee!

Or, if on joyful wing, Cleaving the sky,
Sun, moon, and starts forgot, Upward I fly;
Still all my song shall be, Nearer by God, to Thee.
Nearer my God, to Thee, Nearer to Thee!

I hope this song will touch your heart!!! I hope you come closer and closer to God each day. This is fulfilling and enriching. Share YOUR heart with others. Let me hear from YOU.

John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home