John T. Willis

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Engrossment

Occasionally, one of my students tells me that his or her roommate sometimes gets so involved in his or her assignment or DVD or TV program that she or he is completely obblivious to everything that is taking place around that person. My student reports that I talk to my roommate, but he or she has no idea that I said anything.

When I was working on my dissertation, my office was in a room set apart from the rest of my house so I could get some type of privacy so I could concentrate on my research and writing. Every now and then, I would come out of my "hidden place" and spend some time with the rest of the family. One evening, I "burst into" their room, and everybody jumped, and one of them even turned a cup of hot chocolate on the rug. They were all watching a TV program about Batman or Superman or something similar, and they were "totally engrossed" in the story. They had no idea that I or any else was anywhere around. SO, when I "burst into" their room, suddenly they were shocked.

From the time that one of my grandchildren was approximately four years of age, she became enthralled with art--and she was very good--even at four years old. Through the years, a person would often come up behind her and say something to her, and she had no idea that anyone was anywhere around. She was TOTALLY ENGROSSED.

In one sense, ENGROSSMENT could be a bad things. All of us should be alert to and aware of the words and ideas and thoughts and concerns of others--and I all all for that. BUT, ENGROSSMENT can also be very valuable for the spiritual development of godly people--individually and collectively. Let me paint and picture, and tell me how you respond.

Luke 5:1-11 relates an incident in Jesus' life when he told Peter and James and John to fish at a certain place in the lake of Gennesaret. Peter and his partners had fished all night. They were tired. They caught nothing. They were washing their nets to prepare for the next night. They faced the hot day ahead, when their wives and their children would probably come home and be disappointed by their lack of success. Jesus was a carpenter, and they were experienced fisherman. Undoubtedly, they were getting on one another's nerves. We have had many days like this. And then, this "carpenter" tells these "fishermen" to fish at a certain spot on this lake IN THE DAYTIME, NOT AT NIGHT. Peter was not happy about Jesus' request, but he says: "If YOU say so, I let let down the nets." When this happened, "they caught so many fish that their nets were beginning to break." Peter, James, and John quickly called their partners and filled their boat and another boat to come help them bring in all these fish. Then Peter fell down at Jesus' knees and said, "Go way from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man." But Jesus replied: "Go not be afraid: from no on you will be catching people."

NOW, think for a moment. What happened on this occasion? Peter and James and John were frustrated, disappointed, getting on one another's nerve, tired. But when they did what Jesus told them, SUDDENLY, they forgot ALL ABOUT their frustration and their differences and their weariness, and NOW they FOCUSED on one thing: bringing in the fish. They were ENGROSSED by the situation before them. AND THEN--Jesus taught them a lesson--THIS can happen if you will do what I say and "catch people."

Is there a lesson for us today? In our churches, what goes on day in and day out? We do not like the preacher or the elders or the staff or the teachers or another person in the church. We are frustrated and tired and disappointed and get on one another's nerves. What if, TOGETHER, we FOCUSED on serving others and loving others and bringing others to Christ? THEN, what would happen? We might become ENGROSSED--and our headaches and our problems and our distractions might be put on the "back burner."

How do you respond? Do you know a friend or a family member or someone in your church that is ENGROSSED? Are you ENGROSSED? Share your stories with your friends and neighbors. This is fun and expanding. Let me know what you think.

John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home