John T. Willis

Thursday, June 04, 2009

God is With Us

Little words often convey important, powerful thoughts. One little word we use all the time is the word "with." The Bible uses the word "with" numerous times. Often, this word occurs in the marvelous promise that "God is [will be] his people."

Here are a few passages.

1. When God appeared to Moses at the burning bush in the wilderness of Midian, God told Moses to go back to Egypt and led his people, the Israelites, come out of Egyptian bondage.
"But Moses said to God, 'Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?' He [God] said, 'I WILL BE WITH YOU . . .'" (Exodus 3:11-12).

2. When an angel appeared to Gideon and assured him that God was with him and that God would lead the Israelites to defeat the Midianites, Gideon responded:
"'But sir, how can I deliver Israel? My clan is the weakest of Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.' The Lord said to him, 'BUT I WILL BE WITH YOU, and you shall strike down the Midianites . . .'" (Judges 6:15-16).

3. When Saul became very jealous of David and sought ways to kill David, the Bible repeatedly reminds the reader: "THE LORD WAS WITH HIM [DAVID]" (1 Samuel 18:12, 14, 28).

4. A memorable statement in the beloved Psalm 23 says:
"Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil;
FOR YOU ARE WITH ME . . . " (Psalm 23:4).

5. God's promise to the Jewish exiles in Babylon is:
"Do not fear, FOR I AM WITH YOU,
do not be afraid, for I am your God." (Isaiah 41:10).

6. The last words Jesus uttered to his disciples before he ascended into heaven were:
"I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS, to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:20).

As we confront numerous challenges and setbacks and reversals, as well as successes and joys and encouragements, let us rest fully on God's daily assurance: I AM WITH YOU.

John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home