John T. Willis

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Psalm 71:5-8

The first section of trust in and praise of God in Psalm 71 is verses 5-8:

"For you, O Lord, are my hope,
my trust, O Lord, from my youth.
Upon you I have leaned from my birth;
it was you who took me from my mother's womb.
My praise is continually of you.
I have been like a portent to many,
but you are my strong refuge.
My mouth is filled with your praise,
and with your glory all day long."

1. "Hope," "trust," and "lean upon" are three recurring expressions in the Bible meaning complete dependence on the object of the trust--in this case, complete trust in God. See for example Isaiah 30:15; 31:1; 36:4-10; Psalms 31:14; 33:20-22; 40:1-4; and very often.
2. Whether a person realizes it or not, Yahweh takes care of and protects a person from birth to death. The author of Psalm 71 is very aware of his/her dependence on Yahweh every day--all the way back to conception and birth, and all the way forward to old age and death--see verses 5-6, 9, 17-18. See also Psalms 22:9-10; 37:25.
3. The only appropriate response to God's work in his world and in one's life is "praise," not a ritual act that one does in a worship assembly, but a life style. Praise is something which a genuine follower of God does "continually" (verse 6c), "all day long" (verse 8b).
May God help us trust in him under all circumstances and praise him continually.

John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home