John T. Willis

Monday, July 11, 2005

Psalm 71:1-4

Psalm 71, which probably is one psalm with Psalm 70 and thus continues Psalm 70, exhibits an alternating pattern:
verses 1-4--petition
verses 5-8--trust and praise
verses 9-13--petition and complaint
verses 14-17--trust and praise
verse 18--petition
verses 19-24--trust and praise.

The first petition, then, is verses 1-4:

"In you, O Lord [Yahweh], I take refuge;
let me never be put to shame.
In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me;
incline your ear to me and save me.
Be to me a rock of refuge,
a strong fortress, to save me,
for you are my rock and my fortress.
Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked,
from the grasp of the unjust and cruel."

1. The psalmist's enemies are many and strong and cruel. The psalmist has nowhere to turn for help but to Yahweh. He refers to Yahweh as his "rock," his "refuge," and his "fortress." In other words, God alone can protect him from all those who seek to destroy him. These are powerful metaphors for God used throughout scripture. See for example, Psalms 2:12; 18:2, 30-31, 46; 19:14; 28:1; 31:2-3; 46:1, 7, 11; and very often.
2. The author of Psalm 71 uses powerful verbs in pleading with God to deliver him from his/her enemies: "deliver," "rescue," "save." All of these are terms used to describe Yahweh's deliverance of his people from Egyptian bondage--see for example, Exodus 6:2-8; 14:30; Psalm 106:8-11.
3. The composer describes her/his enemies as "wicked," "unjust," "cruel." As this psalm will indicate later, these are the kind of people that use others to get what they want, and they do not care what it takes to get what they want. They are oppressors of those who cannot defend themselves. God takes the side of the oppressed, and rights the wrongs which oppressors bring upon them--see for example, Exodus 22:21-24; 2 Samuel 12:1-7; 1 Kings 21:1-26.
May God help us to seek refuge and protection in him alone, and thus to be faithful to him under all kinds of adverse circumstances.

John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home