John T. Willis

Friday, June 24, 2005

Psalm 69:1-3

Psalm 69 is a long lament psalm. It falls into two parts:
A. Verses 1-29--The composer alternates between praying for Yahweh's help (verses 1a, 6, 13-18, 22-25, 27-28, 29b) and complaining because of numerous problems he or she is facing (verses 1b-5, 7-12, 19-21, 26, 29a).
B. Verses 30-36--The composer promises to praise Yahweh for delivering him or her and his or her faith community.

The psalm begins with these words in verses 1-3:

"Save me, O God,
for the waters have come up to my neck.
I sink in deep mire,
where there is no foothold;
I have come into deep waters,
and the flood sweeps over me.
I am weary with my crying;
my throat is parched.
My eyes grow dim
with waiting for my God."

1. The psalmist is completely dependent on God, and so he or she cries out: "Save me, O God" (verse 1a); "in the abundance of your steadfast love, answer me" (verse 13c); "with your faithful help rescue me" (verses 13d-14a); and "let your salvation, O God, protect me" (verse 29b). Human beings are as helpless as newborn babies, whether they realize it or not; their very lives, moment by moment, depend totally on God.
2. The troubles in the psalmist's life are numerous and overwhelming. He or She compares this with unexpected rushing, rising flood waters (see also verses 14b, d-15). One caught in this situation sinks in deep mire and cannot get a firm footing, like being trapped in quicksand. The waters are rising quickly, and are now up to the victim's neck (verse 1b); in fact, they are sweeping over him or her (verse 2d). As the waters swirl around the helpless sufferer, she or he is swept off her or his feet, and the waters are so swift it is impossible to swim or to maintain any kind of equilibrium. The prey is swept along by the rushing current. Anyone who has experienced a series of serious reversals like death or divorce or personal loss, etc., can empathize with the psalmist immediately.
3. Through all this, the poet has been praying for God to intervene, and nothing has happened. The speaker's throat is dry from crying out to God so often and so long. He or she is tired, and finds it very difficult to stay alert or to stay awake--and yet trouble is breathing down his or her neck every moment. All he or she can do is "wait for God." Yet the time is getting very short. The psalmist feels death is near.
Human beings face numerous and serious tragedies and threats in life. In such times, Psalms like Psalm 69 give us words to express how we feel. We would like to "be in control," but the reality is: Troubles and problems are sweeping away our footing and overwhelming us. How desperately we need God in such times! Let us be bold to "wait for God."

John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home