John T. Willis

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Psalm 59:14-17

The second part [Psalm 59:14-17] of the second section [Psalm 59:11-17] of Psalm 59 begins exactly like the second part [Psalm 59:6-10] of the first section [Psalm 59:1-10] with a comparison of the composer's enemies with ravenous dogs (verses 6 and 14). Thus Psalm 59 concludes:

"Each evening they come back,
howling like dogs
and prowling about the city.
They roam about for food,
and growl if they do not get their fill.
But I will sing of your might;
I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning.
For you have been a fortress for me
and a refuge in the day of my distress.
O my strength, I will sing praises to you,
for you, O God, are my fortress,
the God who shows me steadfast love."

1. Wicked enemies of God's people never let up in their relentless attempts to destroy God's faithful followers on earth. Peter emphasizes this aspect of the godly life in 1 Peter 5:8-9:
"Discipline yourselves, keep alert. Like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour. Resist him, steadfast in your faith, for you know that your brothers and sisters in all the world are undergoing the same kinds of suffering."
To be sure, it is unpleasant to have to deal with Satan's servants day in and day out (see 2 Corinthians 11:12-15), but this is what a person adopts when she or he makes the decision to follow God through Jesus Christ. Paul puts it this way in 2 Timothy 3:10-13:
"Now you have observed my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness, my persecutions and suffering the things that happened to me in Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra. What persecutions I endured! Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. Indeed, all who want to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. But wicked people and imposters will go from bad to worse, deceiving others and being deceived."
2. The psalmist's wicked enemies do their malicious works "each evening." In stark contrast, the psalmist "sings aloud" of Yahweh's steadfast love "in the morning," the time of day when God gives a new start, a new beginning, refreshment, help, and protection. Psalm 46:5 says: "God will help it [Jerusalem] when the morning dawns." And the author of Psalm 30:5c-d declares:
"Weeping may linger for the night,
but joy comes with the morning."
(See also Psalms 57:8; 90:14; 143:8). At the beginning of each day, God's people can proclaim:
"This is the day that the Lord has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it" (Psalm 118:24).
3. Yahweh is the psalmist's "fortress," "refuge," and "strength"--her or his help and protector and deliverer in all kinds of distress. Yahweh's intervention in the psalmist's behalf against his or her enemies demonstrates ("shows") clearly Yahweh's "might" and "steadfast love."
Praise God for his powerful presence with his people in all life's situations, including those when enemies of God's faithful followers are prowling about like lions and dogs to devour them. May we seek refuge in him.

John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home