John T. Willis

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Psalm 56:1-4

The composer of Psalm 56 encounters essentially the same problem as the poets who wrote Psalms 54 and 55, namely, powerful enemies are threatening the psalmist, and the psalmist turns to the only reliable source of security for help: Yahweh. The recurring refrain or chorus in verses 4 and 10-11 naturally divides this psalm into three parts. The author says in verses 1-4:

"Be gracious to me, O God, for people trample on me;
all day long foes oppress me;
my enemies trample on me all day long,
for many fight against me.
O Most High, when I am afraid,
I put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I am not afraid;
what can flesh do to me?"

1. The psalmist pleads for God to "be gracious" to him or her. He or she does not deserve Yahweh's intervention and protection, but appeals to Yahweh's merciful and gracious spirit. See Psalms 4:1; 6:2; 9:13; 25:16; etc.
2. Psalm 56 does not give enough information to determine the specific threat facing the psalmist. "Trample" (verses 1 and 2) may indicate the rich and powerful of God's people are taking advantage of her or his weak position in society to "oppress" her or him (see Psalm 57:3; Amos 2:7; 8:4). "Fight against" (verse 2) may indicate foreign armies are attacking him or her and his or her associates (see Judges 5:19-20; Psalm 35:1; etc.). In either case, these enemies are powerful and terrifying, and they make the psalmist "afraid" (verse 3).
3. The enemies threaten the psalmist constantly; they never "let up"; the poet declares that they oppress him or her "all day long" (verses 1-2). How can a servant of God cope and survive when enemies oppress him or her relentlessly?
4. The psalmist's enemies set their hope on exploiting people who cannot or will not defend themselves (see verse 6); but the psalmist sets her or his hope in God. There is an important chiastic or inverted movement in verses 3-4 from fear to trust to praise to trust to lack of fear. At the center of this chiasm is praise of God's "word." This word is not the Pentateuch or Scripture in general, but God's recurring promise: "Do not fear; for I am with you"--see Exodus 14:13-14; Joshua 1:9; 10:25; Isaiah 41:10; 43:5; Psalms 27:1; 49:16; Hebrews 13:5-6.
Threatening, powerful enemies and other types of distresses constantly confront God's people. May God help us adopt the attitude of the author of Psalm 56: "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you." God alone is a reliable source of confidence and security.

John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home