John T. Willis

Friday, March 18, 2005

Psalm 55:12-15 (continued)

Psalm 55:12-15 highlights the importance of true friendship. Jesus describes his relationship with his followers as that of friends:
"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love that this, to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father."
It is very significant that Jesus says that no love is greater than laying down one's life for one's friends. Further, Jesus states that one can be comfortable telling a true friend everything that will be beneficial to that friend.
But all of us know from experience that true friendship is a very delicate relationship. All of us have entrusted our thoughts and feelings to someone at some time in life who has betrayed our confidence. There are some people who nurture friendship only because they think it will benefit them as an advantage with regard to prestige or money or power or advancement. When that friendship is no longer personally beneficial to them, they break it off or violate in some way.
Proverbs 18:24 says:
"Some friends play at friendship,
but a true friend sticks closer than a brother."
Proverbs 17:17 says:
"A friend loves at all times,
and kinsfolk are born to share adversity."
The way in which one cherishes and honors her or his friendships is a very important indication of the genuineness of that person's commitment to God. I cannot force another person to honor her or his friendship with me or anyone else, but I can honor my friendship to others.

John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home