John T. Willis

Monday, November 26, 2012

God is our Rock

Among the numerous metaphors portraying God is ROCK. There are several ways in which the Bible uses the term "rock" to portray the nature and work of God. 1. God is our protection. Human beings hide behind large rocks for protection against bad weather, enemies, robbers, wild animals. The Bible uses "rock" as a synonym of a fortress or stronghold. David composed a long song when Yahweh delivered him from the hand of his enemies. This is in 2 Samuel 22. He writes in verses 2-3: "The Lord is my ROCK, my FORTRESS, and my deliverer, my God, my ROCK, in whom I take REFUGE." The composer of Psalm 31 says in verses 2-4: "Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily. Be a ROCK of REFUGE for me, a STRONG FORTRESS to save me. You are indeed my ROCK and my FORTRESS; for your name's sake lead me and guide me, take me out of the net that is hidden for me, for you are my REFUGE." 2. God lifts us to a higher level to become closer to God and receive his shelter. The composer of Psalm 61 says in verses 2-4: "From the end of the earth I call to you, when my heart is faint. Lead me to the ROCK that is higher than I; for you are my REFUGE; a STRONG TOWER against the enemy. Let me abide in your TENT forver, find REFUGE under the SHELTER of your wings." 3. The metaphor of a rock emphasizes that God is firm, faithful, endurable, dependable. Moses' song in Deuteronomy 32 underlines this idea. Note verses 4,18, 31: "The ROCK, his work is perfect, and all his ways are just. A FAITHFUL God, without deceit, just and upright is he. . . You were unmindful of the ROCK that bore you; you forgot the God who gave you birth. . . Indeed, their rock is not like our ROCK; our enemies are fools." I hope you will look through a concordance about the word "rock" to discover the truths of the Bible about God. Share your belief and insights and reservations and proclamations and withdrawals with others. Let me hear from you. John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home