John T. Willis

Friday, December 30, 2011

Lift Up Your Heart

As we approach the New Year 2012, I want to say and do everything I possibly can to encourage everyone near and far. The next several blogs are designed to make this attempt. These blogs are built around the biblical term "LIFT UP." The primary Hebrew terms for "lift up" are the synonyms nasa' and rum. These blogs are based on the biblical use of these terms in scripture.

God encourages his people to "lift up their heart" or "soul" or "spirit." To lift up the heart assumes an individual is despondent or feels hopeless. Each person can come to feel this way for many things that happen in life. But God encourages us to lift up our hearts. Quit focusing on earthly matters and concerns; instead, focus on God and heavenly matters and concerns.

Here are a few texts.

Psalm 25:1-2, 4-5: "To you, O Lord, I LIFT UP MY SOUL.
O my God, in YOU I trust;
do not let me be put to shame;
do not let my enemies exult over me. . . .
Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth, and teach me,
for YOU are the God of my salvation;
for YOU I wait all day long."

Psalm 86:3-7: "Be gracious to me, O Lord,
for to YOU do I cry all day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant,
for to YOU, O Lord, I LIFT UP MY SOUL.
For YOU, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
abounding in steadfast love to all who call on YOU.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer;
listen to my cry of supplication.
In the day of my trouble I call on YOU,
for YOU will answer me."

Lamentations 3:40-41: "Let us test and examine our ways,
and return to the Lord.
Let us LIFT UP OUR HEARTS
as well as our hands to God in heaven."

Colossians 3:1-4: "So if you have been raised with Christ, SEEK THE THINGS THAT ARE
ABOVE, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. SET YOUR
MINDS ON THINGS THAT ARE ABOVE, NOT ON THINGS THAT ARE ON EARTH,
for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
When Christ who is your life is revealed, then you also will be
revealed with him in glory."

Share YOUR inner feelings and aspirations and hopes. The life above is much richer and inspiring than anything on this earth. Buy into that life.

John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home