John T. Willis

Thursday, December 03, 2009

There Is Sunshine in my Soul Today

The Bible contains some marvelous promises of God. One of these occurs in Isaiah 60:19-20:
The sun shall no longer be your light by day,
nor the brightness shall be moon
give light to you by night;
but the Lord will be your everlasting light,
and your God will be your glory.
Your sun shall no more go down,
or your moon withdraw itself;
for the Lord will be your everlasting light,
and your days of mourning shall be ended.

According to John 8:12, Jesus proclaimed:
I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.

In 1887, Eliza E. Hewitt composed the words and John R. Sweney set the music of the song: "There Is Sunshine in My Soul." Reflect on this song:

Stanza 1: There is sunshine in my soul today,
More glorious and bright
Than glows in any earthly sky,
For Jesus is my light.

Stanza 2: There is music in my soul today,
A carol to my King.
And Jesus, listening, can hear
The songs I cannot sing.

Stanza 3: There is gladness in my soul today,
And hope and praise and love,
For blessings which He gives me now,
For joys laid up above.

Refrain: O there's sunshine, blessed sunshine,
While the peaceful, happy moments roll;
When Jesus shows His smiling face,
There is sunshine in my soul.

Many days tend to be gloomy and fearful and anxious and depressing. When this happens, think of these biblical texts and this old song. It will give you new life and new energy.

Share YOUR songs with others. Let me hear from YOU. Have a glorious day.

John Willis

4 Comments:

  • I love hymns like this, and love being reminded of them, and love getting them stuck in my head! This is one I can really be encouraged by right now! Thank you!

    By Blogger April, at 9:01 PM  

  • I enjoy coming to your blog on occasion. You opened the door to the OT for me in your classes at Lipscomb, 1967-71. I am grateful for the influence you had and continue to have on my life. In Aug., 2008, we lost our 15 month old grandson to leukemia. I maintain a CaringBridge site in honor and memory of him. I write posts that I hope help and encourage in some small way those who have suffered loss. I'd like to use this post, "There Is Sunshine in my Soul Today" with your permission. My site is www.caringbridge.org/visit/sullivanbubbyfarrar. God's blessings, David Fisher

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:28 PM  

  • I enjoy coming to your blog on occasion. You opened the door to the OT for me back in my Lipscomb days, 1967-71. I am grateful for the influence you had and have on my life. In Aug., 2008 we lost our 15 month old grandson to leukemia. I continue to maintain a CaringBridge site in his honor and memory. From our experience and Scripture I try to write posts that in some small way will help those dealing with tragedy and loss. I'd like to use this post, "There Is Sunshine..." with your permission. My site is www.caringbridge.org/visit/sullivanbubbyfarrar. Thank you and God's blessings. David Fisher

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:47 PM  

  • A beautiful gospel song by a lovely lady. Eliza Hewitt was a school teacher. But one day a rebellious boy (a large and strong one, it would seem) struck her in the back with his slate. The severe injury led to her being in a body cast for 6 months and confined to bed.

    When at last she recovered, she went outside into the sunshine for a short walk. Her first time out of doors. The warmth and beauty of the sun were wonderful. But she immediately thought of the light of Christ in her soul, "more glorious and bright than glows in any earthly sky."

    (Incidentally, today is the 90th anniversary of Eliza Hewitt's death.)

    By Blogger robert, at 5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home