John T. Willis

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Open My Eyes

One of the numerous prayers found in Psalm 119 appears in verse 18:
"Open my eyes, so that I may see
wondrous things out of your law."

Such a prayer assumes that we are blind spiritually. We SEE much physically, but spiritually we are often blind. The whole account about the man born blind related in John 9 essentially deals with the problem of "blindness" and "seeing." The man born blind was blind "physically," BUT the Pharisees who rebuked Jesus for opening the eyes of this man could see physically, but in reality they were blind spiritually.

This chapter ends with these words in John 11:35-43:
"Jesus heard that they had driven him out, and when he found him, he said, 'Do you believe in the Son of Man?' He answered, 'And who is he, sir?' Tell me, so that I may believe in him,' Jesus said to him, 'You have seen him, and the one speaking with you is he.' He said, 'Lord," I believe. And he worshipped him. Jesus said, 'I came into this world for judgment so that hose who do not SEE may SEE, and those who do SEE may become BLIND.' Some of the Pharisees near him heard this and said to him, 'Surely we are not BLIND, are we?' Jesus said to them, 'If you were BLIND, you would not have sin. But now that you say, 'We SEE,' your sin remains."

In 1895, Clara H Scott wrote a song conveying this thought:

First Stanza: Open my eyes, that I may see
Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key
That shall unclasp, and set me free.

Second Stanza: Open my ears, that I may hear
Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
And while the wavenotes fall on my ear,
Everything false will disappear.

Third Stanza: Open my mouth, and let me bear
Gladly the warm truth everywhere;
Open my heart, and let me prepare
Love with Thy children thus to share.

Refrain: Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready my God, Thy will to see:
Open my eyes, illumine me,
Savior divine!

I hope these thoughts lift YOUR heart. Share YOUR thoughts with others. Let me hear from YOU.

John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home