John T. Willis

Friday, August 07, 2009

Can You Hear Me Now? Can You See Me Now?

When I was in my late 20s, I had to begin wearing eyeglasses. Over the years, I finally had to move into bifocals. Thankfully, with these eyeglasses, I can see very well--both traveling and reading. A few weeks ago, I went to be examined to find out whether I needed hearing aids. The analysts said I am doing very well, but since I am not 75, like all human beings, my hearing is somewhat diminished, so NOW I am wearing hearing aids.

Seeing and hearing are marvelous gifts of God. Verizon popularized the slogan: "Can you hear me now?" And we joke about this in speaking to one another from time to time. We might also ask: "Can you see me now?"

Proverbs 20:12 says:
"The hearing ear and the seeing eye--
the Lord has made them both."

When the Lord appeared to Moses on Mount Horeb=Sinai at the burning bush, Moses' fourth excuse not to go back to Egypt and lead the Israelites out of bondage was: "O my Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor even now that you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue." But the Lord responded: "Who gives speech to mortals? Who makes them mute or DEAF, SEEING or BLIND? Is it not I, the Lord?" (Exodus 4:10-11).

It is so easy for us to take for granted the ability to hear or to see. These abilities are GIFTS OF GOD. Be grateful EVERY DAY for these two very important gifts.

But, there is another consideration. It is very easy for us to SEE and HEAR physically, but not SEE or HEAR spiritually. God said to Isaiah in Isaiah 6:9-10:
Keep listening, but do not comprehend;
keep looking, but do not understand.
Make the mind of this people dull,
and stop their ears,
and shut their eyes,
so that they may not look with their eyes,
and listen with their ears,
and comprehend with their minds,
and turn and be healed.

God is the GREAT PHYSICIAN and the GREAT HEALER. All human beings need to go to this physician, this healer, to transform our spiritual eyes and ears into his image and into his service.

Two admonitions are very important. Reflect on these admonitions!!!

Mark 4:24: "Pay attention to WHAT you HEAR."

Luke 8:18: "Pay attention to HOW you LISTEN."

How is YOUR hearing? How is YOUR seeing? Is God transforming your hearing and your seeing? God is the giver of hearing and seeing. He knows how to use these gifts.

How do you respond to these thoughts? Share your ideas with your family, your friends, your church, your community, your city, your state, your country, the world. Let me hear from you.

John Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home